To sum up they don’t want PFL, fair enough everyone has a right to an opinion, environmental impacts a big reason, they seem to want Lat 32 which needs the outer harbour, but that will also have huge environmental impacts greater than the PFL, so maybe its they are just against development? Sadly the whole thing is just political not practical and the residents of Fremantle will be left to have large trucks driving many different routes through our suburbs and our roads congestion will just get worse. Outer harbour has many challenges before construction can even begin, the biggest will be where will the $5billion to build it, come from?
Not to mention the $90 per 40′ container subsidy that each container doing onto rail gets from the state government, doubling the containers onto rail will also mean doubling the budget for subsidies. A budget that runs out soon, then what?
One thing for sure this Lat 32 will not put more containers on rail or lower truck miles or stop bad environmental impacts on our local areas. It will just shift it, though it will;
- Increase truck miles for most containers
- Need more trucks to the same job that is done now
- Increase truck pollution
- Increase costs for shipping and freight
- Not increase rail out of Fremantle Port with out new infrastructure being built, ie dedicated rail lines and links
- Have a huge impact on cockburn sound and on the areas for the Lat32 intermodal area and all the new roads it needs to work
- Do nothing for Fremantle’s current congestion problem which will just continue to grow